Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Recruit, train and supervise two college Volunteers/Interns for STEM instruction
- Create Lesson STEM Lesson Plans aligned to common core and for the purpose of STEM career exposure and exploration through various methods
- Co-facilitate and/ or facilitate at least one group during the week (includes Saturdays)
- Provide positive youth development activities
- Provide Summer STEM Enrichment Activities
- Able to work with grades 4th to 12th
- Able to provide academic support to 8th graders in preparation for NYSED Science test
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of participants
- Record keeping (i.e., attendance, lesson plans, class summaries)
- Data collection (report card grades Science and Math and NYSED Science test grades)
- All other assigned tasks
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to support leadership, management, negotiation and problem-solving functions of this role.
- Friendly, courteous, service-orientated, professional, outgoing, and client service oriented.
- Detail oriented while maintaining an extremely positive attitude.
- Must be able to work independently and productively with minimum supervision.
- Team play with a “can do” attitude that can work in a fast-paced environment.
- Manages time, adheres to deadlines and prioritize tasks.
- Uses good judgment in matters of safety and liability for which there may not be prescribed procedures.
- Ability to learn and teach new concepts in technology or science.
Must successfully complete a criminal background check, obtain clearance from the Office of Children and Family Services, OASAS and be drug free.
Education and/or Experience:
AA degree; unless you have successfully completed a coding boot camp or certified training. Bachelor’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years’ teaching experience either in a traditional school and/or within non-traditional environment.
- Enthusiasm and ability to engage students from a variety of backgrounds and ages.
- STEM programming experience (i.e.: Robotics, MineCraft, Lego MindStorm, Scratch, Raspberry Pi, Web Development or alternative programs of a similar type
Salary and Schedule
- Two weekdays (late afternoon hours)
- Saturdays (late morning) weekly